Tuesday, October 28, 2014

October 28, 2014

Yesterday I did venture out to the terme, the hot spring, and I spent about 3 hours lounging and soaking in the medicinal effects of the healing waters.  And my back feels somewhat better for it!!!! Fall is definitely in the air here, and so the suns' warmth was diminished by the chill breeze, so I didn't linger overly on the lounge chair, which I poached.

Most of the day was devoted to doing the Terme dei Papi visit, including public transit to and fro, and being in no particular rush in either direction.

Upon return to Viterbo, I checked in with the owner of my B&B and made some complaints about the state of repair of my room. Most notably was the fact that I had to keep on any and all warm clothing that I could dig out of my suitcase in order to be warm enough to "relax" in my room (for which I am paying almost E60/night - about C$80.) On top of that, the included breakfast has moved to the local caffe bar up the street a couple of blocks. Never mind the grungey shower cabinet, and filthy dishware in the kitchenette, with no dish soap or towel to clean them (I asked the day before, and was refused). A waste basket in the bathroom would be a good inclusion.  How about the burnt out light bulbs? The proprietress, who speaks only Polish and Italian despite claims of speaking English on the website, basically ripped off a tirade in Italian to me, little of which I understood, leaving me to walk away in disappointment.  She must have a small bit of softness in her heart, because she knocked at my door a few minutes later and offered to show me a different room. Now we're talkin'.  This was a much better option, and I was surprised that she didn't provide me with this room in the first place.  But I shouldn't have been, because I have come to realize that when you are a solo traveller, it is too often the case that establishments seem to think they can get away with somewhat unacceptable accommodation at full price. Anyways, now I have a warm room with a waste basket in the bathroom and a clean shower. The kitchenette has clean dishes AND dishsoap - what a concept! Anyways, there are a lot of B&B options in Viterbo, as I have discovered in my wanderings, and I'm certain that there are better ones that the one I chose (one of two) off Booking.com.  It's fine now, except for intermittent wifi connection, but the first two nights were less than good value.Still this is a fine area to visit and I recommend it to anyone.
An example of exterior decoration of over 1000yrs old.

Pomegranites in the evening sun.

The male equivalent of Artemisia. Those are bulls testicles. Boys will be boys...

View from my bedroom window. Tranquilla.


 
Farnese family crest. The Farnese family owned A LOT of properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment